This program educates middle and high school students and their parents, providing educational activities on the dangers of tobacco, e-cigarette, and vape use to individuals within Orange County and the Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD). Tobacco Prevention & Cessation (TPC) also provide education and materials to school faculty, community members, tobacco/vape retailers, and their staff.
In CUSD, our three-year goal is to reduce the prevalence of 11th grade vaping within the selected district boundary communities by 5 percent by June 30th, 2025.
This program is funded by the Orange County Health Care Agency - Tobacco Use Prevention.
Partners4Wellness staff provides the following:
- Vaping/Tobacco Presentations to schools, youth, parents/adults, school administration, and high-risk populations.
- Webinars created for youth, adults/parents, school administration, and high-risk populations.
- Vaping/Tobacco Online Activities that supplement our Vaping presentations and pre-recorded or live webinars.
- Tobacco Youth Task Forces at various middle and high school in Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD) by recruiting, training, and educating to participate in smoking and vaping prevention activities on their campus or out in the community. The project focuses on peer-to-peer education and is all youth-led which means the youth create the activities and ideas that they would like to conduct in their community or school.
- Activities may include but are not limited to, the following: Tobacco litter clean-up event at a local outdoor recreational area, such as a beach, park, apartment, and/or school; Photovoice project for youth to share their story about how smoking and/or vaping affects them and their local community; Youth smoking and vaping prevention artwork contest and placement of artwork in local media and social media sites; Sticker shock project, in which youth develop and place social sources awareness materials at local tobacco retailer locations; Resource/health fair in which youth plan and host their own tobacco and vaping prevention booth for youth and parents in their local community.
- Social Media Campaigns. Staff works with youth to create and share smoking and/or vaping prevention focused social media posts on Instagram throughout the school year.
- Follow P4W’s Instagram social media account here: @partners4wellnessorg
- Parent Outreach. Staff provides educational activities for parents within CUSD, to raise their awareness about the harms of youth smoking and vaping and provide prevention resources to support them in talking to their children about not vaping.
- Activities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Educational presentations (In-Person, Live, or Pre-recorded Webinar links)
- Health/resource fairs
- Media campaigns
- Disseminating educational materials through community organizations and schools
- Promoting the County’s free smoking/vaping cessation services through 1-866-NEW-LUNG.